Sunday, October 30, 2011

Corn Everywhere

After seeing this challenge to not eat corn for 2 days, I knew I was in for a challenge. Immediately I strategized that would stick with eating 3 meals a day and eliminating snacking. This in itself was difficult, I love to snack. I almost exclusively drank water. I found that I could just make eggs for breakfast and avoid corn, so that wasn't awful. Lunch was more of a problem, as I usually didn't have time to cook before class, so I gave in and made myself a PB and J sandwich. The bread, peanut butter and jelly all had corn syrup in some form, although it was the last ingredient in the peanut butter.

Needless to say, by the time dinnertime rolled around I was starving. Only some eggs and a sandwich to eat all day? Not enough. Luckily, I had some acceptable food for dinner. I was able to make some rice, vegetables, and grill some chicken that made for a nice balanced dinner. These were 2 very hungry days, as I had one really satisfying meal each day and I cheated for my lunch. Eliminating corn products from a diet is really difficult and made it hard to have a balanced diet with sufficient nutrients. I'm sure that if I put more effort into avoiding corn I would be able to focus on eating fresh foods that were unprocessed and corn-free, but as a casual 2-day experiment, this was very difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment